If you are planning to shoot live birds, either at the Master National event or in Pre-Master National training, you should know that Oregon has some very strict Statues regarding licensing.
Oregon considers pen-raised pheasants and ducks that are used for preserve shooting or retriever training to be game because once they are released to be shot, they could escape and become part of the current wildlife population. As a result, all gunners, both in Pre-National training and at the Master National event will need to get the proper licenses and permits as outlined below.
You will need to start at the Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife at https://myodfw.com/ Here you can purchase a license online ahead of time as well as the gamebird release permit you will need (no charge). It will explain to you how to mail or fax the form to the Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife.
Usually only one person in a training group needs a game release permit, but any/all gunners need to have proper licensing per ODFW statutes with a validation for duck (migratory stamp not necessary) and Upland. A validation is printed on the license for migratory birds (duck) and upland. Having a Oregon State stamp is not necessary.
An annual hunting license can be purchased for $167.00 covering the pre-national training and the event.
Also, in many locations throughout Oregon you can purchase a license at small general stores and convenience markets as there is not a Big 5, Walmart, ODFW location in every town/city.
Here are the links for those who plan to conduct Pre-National training in Oregon. you need this information if you want to shoot birds during training.
Gamebird release permit, no charge but you need to have one in possession:
- Gamebird Release Permit (no charge but group must have one in possession) https://bit.ly/2LChuDj
- Gamebird Validation ($43.00, good from July 2018 to July 2019)
- Non-resident Hunting License
- 3-day license is $31.50 for each 3-day period
- Full year license is $167.00
You may purchase a 3-day license for specifically designated dates and you may purchase multiple licenses at the same time. That means you can purchase three 3-day licenses to cover the entire event at your initial purchase. This is highly recommended for convenience and flexibility.
You may purchase the required permits/licenses online or at any of the locations listed below. These are all very convenient and within minutes of all hotels and venue locations in Roseburg.
- At a Point-of-Sale license agents in Roseburg, OR
- Bi- Mart 1381 NW GARDEN VLY BLVD
- Dixonville Store 2046 BUCKHORN RD
- Walmart 2125 NW STEWART PKWY
- Roseburg Gun Shop 2405-30 DIAMOND LK BLVD
- Big 5 Sporting Goods 2655 NW STEWART PARKWAY
- K Mart 2757 NW STEWART PKWY
- WALDRON’S OUTDOOR SPORTS 330 NE GARDEN VALLEY BLVD
- NORTHWEST OUTDOORS SUPPLY 435 SE JACKSON ST
- FRED MEYER-ROSEBURG 929 NW GARDEN VALLEY BLVD
- Sportsman’s Warehouse 2122 NW Stewart Parkway
- At local ODFW office
- 4192 N Umpqua Hwy
Summary of Online Regulation Links
- Dog Training Information
- Gamebird Release Permit (required to have one in possession)
- Hunting Licensing Requirements: